Scouts will be meeting on Monday, October 4, 2021 at Strathcona Science Provincial Park, 8650 – 17 St NW, Edmonton, AB (MAP) – between 6:30 – 8:00 PM
** (Arrive at the Strathcona Science Provincial Park parking lot by 6:15 pm so we can start the activity @ 6:30 pm.)
Hello 203 Scout Troop!
You’re out hiking with you fellow Scout and the weather turns ugly in a hurry . It’s time to build a quick shelter together with using your tarps, walking staffs and rope. Let’s get practicing some of those Scoutcraft skills!
Details for Activity/Event:
- Purpose: Hike/ Shelter Building
Be Prepared to Plan/Do/Review:
- Arrive at the Strathcona Science Provincial Park parking lot by 6:15 pm so we can start the activity @ 6:30 pm.
- Important to bring your KNIFE and a LIGHT SOURCE
- NOTE* Tarps and Poles will be supplied
- Go over the 7 Principles of “Leave No Trace Behind”
- Break into Patrols and hike into the bush and buddy up with a Scout to build a shelter in the park
- What are some of the tools, equipment and skills necessary to build an effective shelter?
- What are some of the facilities offered at this park that our Troop can plan other adventures?
** NOTE: A friendly reminder to all Scouts & Scouters, a Backpack is required for all outdoor meetings. The following items that are required are as follows:
- Scout Uniform or Activity Shirt with NECKERS
- Water Bottle or Hot Drink Thermos
- Hand Sanitizer & Face Mask
- Headlamp or Flashlight
- Warm Headgear & gloves
- Knife & Rope
- 6 ft. x 8 ft. tarp
** All participants must wear a face mask.
Yours in Scouting,
Announcements for Upcoming Activities/Events:
- Monday, October 11 – Thanksgiving Holiday (No Meeting)
- Saturday, October 16 – JOTI
- Monday, October 18 –
NOTE: parents/guardians/youth must consult the self-assessment screening checklist to determine whether they may participate in this Scouting activity.